Henry Dalziel | Continuing Professional Education | January 6, 2013
We often get questions from our CompTIA Security+ students asking about their continuing education requirements. CompTIA produced a “Top 10 Questions about CompTIA’s Continuing Education Policy” just over a year ago now which is still very relevant – hence our decision to resurrect it.
We have summarized the ten questions here.
(This applies to all past IT students for the following courses and designations: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+ and CompTIA CASP certifications )
1. I hold a CompTIA certification as part of DoD 8570. How does this affect me?
Short answer: every DoD (Department of Defense) employee will be required to obtain a CompTIA Continuing Education.
2. Why has the DoD enrollment date changed?
Short answer: This was changed by the DoD so that it falls inline with CompTIA’s program guideline which allows “certified for life” (i.e. individuals the option to enrol by December 31, 2012)
3. Does the “Defence Workforce Certification Application” track my participation?
Short answer: Yes. Enrollment in the continuing education program is tracked and updated within DWCA (Defense Manpower Data Center) application.
4. I work for DoD. How can I pay for my continuing education maintenance fee?
Short answer: CompTIA has developed a process to purchase bulk tokens that can be used by individuals to pay yearly maintenance fees. More info within the PDF – top of this post.
5. Can I keep my certification current without taking a new exam?
Short answer: Yes. CompTIA certification renewal policy includes a continuing education component that permits eligible individuals to renew their certifications by earning credits. There are many ways that a CompTIA Certification holders can renew their designation.
6. CompTIA has always said its certifications are good for life. Why has it changed?
Short answer: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+ and CompTIA CASP are accredited by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). This organization accredites the policies used by personnel certification bodies. Owing to ISO procedures, CompTIA certification holders might renew their certification on a regular basis (mostly over a three year period).
7. What are the guidelines for continuing education program participation?
Short answer: Candidates certified on or after January 1st, 2011 will have a certificate expiration date of three years from the date certified.
8. Is there a cost associated with the certification renewal program?
Short answer: Yes. There will be an annual fee of $25 for CompTIA A+ and $49 for CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+ or CompTIA CASP.
9. I hold multiple CompTIA certifications. Am I required to renew each of them?
Short answer: No. Individuals that have multiple CompTIA certifications are allowed to renew at their highest level of certification held.
10. What types of activities are eligible for continuing education units?
Short answer: There are many ways to gain credits for CompTIA continuing education, for example, passing the most current version of the exam. Other possibilities include attending relevant industry conferences and events; participating in a CompTIA exam development workshop; publishing articles, whitepapers, blogs or books on relevant topics; obtaining other industry certifications; or completing industry-related college courses from degree-